Monday, October 11, 2010

The Media Made Me Do It-Media and Consumerism

Everyday we are controlled by media and consumerism without even realizing. The media manipulates and deceives many if not all people and it distracts us with new forms of entertainment day by day. We may not even realize what we are spending our money on-if it’s worth it or not. In this nation, people want whatever they see even if they don’t need it. Whether on television, in the newspaper, or in magazines, the media attracts us to things that we then want to buy. For example, clothes in magazines-when there are new styles of clothes or something new that is out, the media catches my attention to want to but it. When I see new clothes in magazines and stores that makes me more eager to want to buy it especially when discounts or new magazines are sent in the mail. Media controls our wants by making us more eager to buy from certain companies or stores; for example when they say that if you buy something you can get the other free or at half price, etc. By doing so they trick us into buying more. Propaganda is also a huge aspect of the media. For example, these days many technologies are emerging and the media makes the people aware about them. Some media makes people choose certain technologies over others by portraying them in better or worse ways depending on which side the media belongs to. This propaganda controls our wants and desires. Therefore, when I see a new laptop or cell phone being advertised everywhere and see more and more people buying it I begin to think that I also want to buy it but I rethink it over and know that if it’s not needed then I won’t buy it. Sometimes seeing too many new things and being affected by those around me, makes me want to buy these things. But I know that I don’t need to buy all that because not only is it a waste of money but it is also a waste of resources and materials, and it’s not necessary to but whatever is new to be like others. Many people constantly buy everything and anything so that they could fit in with the rest of society and are a part of the new style or fashion. The same goes for electronics, when I see everyone around me with the latest and most advanced items that are all over the news and internet that just makes me think about buying it too. But sometimes there’s no need to buy the latest thing because there’s only a minimal difference between it and the previous item. Now I don’t shop that often and don’t buy too many things that I may not use. I only buy what I may need or something that I really want that I don’t have like it so it won’t go to waste. I am not as easily affected by the advertising of the media because now I am older and know that it is just a way to keep customers to continuously buy more items. This goes to show how much the media controls consumerism and that consumers are usually deceived by the media’s propaganda so that companies and businesses can profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment