Sunday, September 19, 2010

Show Don’t Tell- My Birthday

 It was a bright day with the sun scorching over our house in a way that you could actually feel the heat coming through. I was wearing a turquoise tee-shirt with jeans. The door bell rang twice like the sound of the church bells ringing in my ears. My mom went to open the door. Even though it was my birthday, I remember studying for my physics regents that day. I went downstairs to see who was there. My friend and I hugged each other and suddenly I turned to the right and saw three gift bags lying on the dining table. One had pink, black, and white designs all over it and had a green gem stuck on the top. The other was plain light pink and the third was black on white with a pink flower glued in the middle.  “Happy 18th Birthday!” said my friend.  “We couldn’t wait until the weekend and wanted to make this a surprise for you before your regents.” “Oh, thank you guys so much, I’m glad there’s something to get me away from physics-well at least for now.” I said. My friend’s mom brought in the cake. I quickly ran upstairs and changed into a cheetah print top, only because the turqouis tee shirt was too casual. I ran back downstairs and turned right into the dining room where they had opened the box and took out the cake. It was a round, white puff cake with white cream smoothly spread across the top and neatly spread on throughout the sides. On the top there were six big plump strawberries, placed around the arc of the cake, which glazed with jam that gave it a clear lust. Between each strawberry there was a swirl of smooth cream. In the white creamy circle in the middle, there read “Happy Birthday Noranne” in pink strawberry frosting. “Now let go of that book and come celebrate your 18th birthday!” my friend said. I don’t know why I still held that big, heavy, thick, blue Barron’s physics review book in my hand but I quickly went to the living room and threw it on the piano. Everyone gathered around the dining table including my brothers and they sang Happy Birthday and before we cut the cake I got to open my gifts. I first opened the bag with the green gem on it and in it was a square glass box with the words “Yesterday, Today, and tomorrow” engraved in the middle. When I opened it there was a glass heart on the lid with the words “God made us best friends, our hearts made us sisters” engraved on it. In the box laid a black small bag with a silver bracelet made of hearts intertwined together with one bigger heart dangling from it with the same quote engraved on it. I quickly put it on and thanked and hugged them all. The next gift was a crystal horse; they knew that I like horseback riding. The third gift was a pair of black Calvin Klein flats. After all the gift-opening we took the cake to the living room and my friend and I took a picture before I cut the cake. We had the cake in front of us and there her brother’s water bottle was standing on the ground between the chair and piano. Suddenly my mom swiped a chunk of the cream with her hand and wiped it all over my face. The cream got into my nose and eyes and I started to lick some off my mouth with. My face felt sticky and smooth at the same time and it smelled like strawberry. I slid my finger across my white creamy face and took some cream and licked it. I went to the bathroom to wash my face and it was difficult to remove the cream because it was quite sticky. After washing my face with soap and drying it my face felt somewhat oily due to the heavy cream. I cut the cake and we all had a nice chunk of the cake. It had a strawberry filling in it with more cream in the double layered cake. We all ate the cake and unfortunately I had to go back to studying when they left. I opened the book to the centripetal motion chapter. It was a memorable day…I could still feel the smooth cream all over my face till this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment