Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Nostalgia Piece

When I was around 12 years old my mother bought me a silver bracelet with 8 small silver hearts dangling down from it. I remember the day perfectly. I was out with my parents and then my mom took me to a jewelry store in Steinway. My parents knew the owner and he knew me as well. When my mom told him that she wanted to buy me a piece of jewelry he took out a selection of necklaces and bracelets for us to see. My mom then asked what I preferred and I said a bracelet. She then told the owner to pick out something nice and simple for me because she knew that I don’t like big jewelry. He then placed 5 bracelets on the glass table. There were 2 silver bracelets with hearts around them but one had bigger hearts than the other and had alternating keys with it. The other three were typical sterling silver bracelets with no design on it. So my mom and I eliminated those three and chose between the other two. I told her to choose for me what she liked better since it will be a gift from her to me and she chose the one with small, simple, silver hearts on it and asked if I liked it and I agreed. I remember the owner giving us a discount because he knew that the gift was for me; since he knew me since I was born. So my mom bought me the bracelet and I hugged and kissed her. This piece of jewelry is special to me only because it is form my mom. My mom plays an extremely important role in my life. She always reassures, comforts, and secures me throughout the years. She is the one that I go to in times of need. Of course everyone would say that the mother is a significant person in one’s life but to varying degrees depending on who the person is. To me my mom is my life and I came to appreciate her more as I grew older because I understood her life lessons. She always tells me that when I grow older I will understand what she is telling about life, and she was right. Ever since she bought the bracelet for me I always wear it wherever I go to feel like she is with me everywhere. It just provides a sense of comfort and joy when I reminiscent upon the day she bought it for me. Her words of wisdom and advice greatly affect me to this day because they prove that she has been right in everything she tells me. Jewelry seems to be an important item especially for females because it is something that they can own and treasure for life. It can also display signs of beauty or wealth like how it did in the past. It can also be useful in times of need when you treasure it over the years and its value increases. Women in films are almost always seen with jewelry on. It may show that most women are materialistic and are influenced by such objects; that’s why men usually give women a piece of jewelry as a gift. Many cultures give jewelry as a gift because it is something that will last a lifetime and can be passed down to successive generations. But most importantly any piece of jewelry not matter what its value is an item that holds great memories that are dear to the person. The gift giving of jewelry for women is seen as a norm that identifies their gender in society and it is what simply makes them female.

No comments:

Post a Comment