Thursday, December 9, 2010

Self Evaluation

Honestly, during the first week of this class I was somewhat nervous because I did not know what to expect from a freshman English composition class. I realized that this was not like my senior year AP English class where I was just required to read books and write essays about them. I wasn’t sure if I would analyze certain aspects well, like narratives about myself/experiences, society/gender norms, media/propaganda, and ethnography. I was just never required to think about such topics so I worried that they might be difficult. Fortunately, as time progressed I can frankly say that I became more and more interested in these topics. I learned to think about my everyday life experiences and reminiscent upon my childhood memories that hold more truths and meanings than I have ever known. I learned to understand my surroundings through my everyday observations that I previously did not pay attention to. These assignments proved to be quite useful for me; not only did I gain an array of knowledge in all these topics but I also became better acquainted with their writing techniques. At first it took me quite some time to think and come up with ideas for the required essay/blog topics because I was not used to this style of writing where I must write about myself/experiences with family, society or media. But gradually, I was able to get at these topics with ease because I was able to think more independently, critically, and analytically in order to understand everything around me. I was able to put down my everyday observations that have been all around me since childhood, down on paper. This opened my eyes to many details in my life associated with how and why a certain gender acts a certain way and the norms that are engraved in us since birth. This was the kind of writing that I really enjoyed best because it somewhat reminded me of psychology and it was something in my daily life that I liked to understand. As a result, I feel that I have grown intellectually in that I can think more critically and independently. I spent sufficient time on the assignments in this course and I did them whole-heartedly with care so that not only could my writing be well but so that I could benefit from it. Therefore, I believe that I actually put efficient effort in this class in my writing and blogs because I wrote everything according to what was being asked. I believe that the many writing assignments that we had gradually improved my writing skills and I completed every assignment on time. I think that I deserve to be in the A range because of the effort I put in this class. I don’t mean to be asking for too much but just something reasonable with my hard work and dedication to this course which I can truthfully say that I enjoyed and I thank Professor Hannah for this memorable experience in Freshman Composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment